NIRAD members have in the past made donations to department of radiography at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, University of Lagos as well as the upcoming department of radiography at the University of Benin Edo State in Nigeria. We hope to collaborate with other schools of radiography in Nigeria by sharing our experiences. We aim that our contributions would impact on all of the tiers of healthcare in Nigeria.
NIRAD undertakes a monthly educational exercise for its members through its Academic Paper Review Group Meeting. Individual members of NIRAD are also involved in one type of post graduate educational activity or the other. This includes professional specialist training in areas of practice such as magnetic resonance imaging, computerised tomography scanning, ultrasonography and densitometry. Postgraduate M Level education and doctor of philosophy training in the practice of radiography are currently being undertaken and encouraged by NIRAD members.
Our 1st General Meeting and Scientific Conference covered a wide range of topics and were endorsed with the CPD-Now approval of the Society and College of Radiographers UK. We are currently working closely with the Institute of Radiography at the RRBN in Nigeria to update the current academic curricular of training for radiographers in the country. In the future NIRAD shall publish a quarterly journal with the outcomes of its monthly Academic Paper Review Group also known as the Journal Club.
Scientific and Research Activities
NIRAD members have undertaken the following clinical research and publications:
- Ehiwe E, Ohuegbe C (2011). A case of: Imaging peri-urethral abscess of the Skene’s duct using
endovaginal sonography. Synergy Imaging & Therapy Practice, January 2011, 28-29. England.
- Ehiwe E, Ohuegbe C, Keong N & Odeleye K. (2009). A Case of Testicular Lesion of Uncertain Origin. Synergy Imaging & Therapy Practice, Sept 2009, 8-10. England.
- Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe E.O.I, Malhotra V, Erondu, OF. (2009). Saphenous Varix – a pitfall in ultrasound imaging diagnosis. Eur Journal of Radiography Dec 2009 (Vol 1. Issue 4 Pages 217-220.
- Erondu OF, Okoro CR, Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe E.O.I. (2010) Clinical and ultrasonographic correlation of post-coital isolated penile injury with corpus cavernosal haematoma - a case report. Journal of Medicine and Medical Science Vol. 1(6) pp. 434-436 July 2010.
- Ehiwe E, Ohuegbe C, Olisemeke B, (2010). Ultrasound Evaluation of Clinically Non-specific Inguinal Masses: A Case Series. http://www.theultrasoundforum.com/May 5, 2010.
- Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe E.O.I., Arogundade R. (2010). Ultrasound Evaluation of Achilles Tendinopathy. Canadian Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences. September 2010 Vol. 41, Issue 3, Pages 133-136.
- Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe E.O.I. (2010). A Case of Ledderhose Disease. Synergy Imaging & Therapy Practice, May 2010, 8-9. England
- Ehiwe E.O.I, Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe P. (2010). Magnetic Resonance Arthrography of Femoroacetabular Impingement: A case report. The South African Radiographer. May 2010 Vol 48 .1. Pages 19 -21
- Ehiwe E.O.I., Ohuegbe CI, Ubadigha I. (2009). Magnetic resonance imaging of frontal meningioma with perilesional oedema: A case report. Hospital Imaging in Radiology Europe Journal (HIRE), Vol4, No. 4, ISSN A4-1082, 19-21.
- Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe E.O.I., Erondu OF. Orah O, Olisemeke B. (2010). A Case Report on Ultrasound Evaluation of Inguinal Seroma: A Postoperative Complication of Inguinal Hernia Repair. Synergy Imaging & Therapy Practice, July 2010, 8-9. England.
- Ohuegbe CI, Ehiwe EOI, Erondu OF. (2010). Sonographic appearances of lower limb bursitis: A pictorial review.
- Ehiwe EOI, Ohuegbe CI. Arogundade R. (2010). Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Practice: A reflective account of our experience and windows of opportunity in Nigeria and Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences UNN.
- Ehiwe EOI, Shetty S, Ohuegbe CI. (2010). Magnetic resonance imaging of anterior knee bursitis: A case series and review of literature. Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences UNN..
- Ehiwe, E; McGee, P; Thomson, K; Filby, M (2013). “How black West African migrants perceive cancer”. Diversity and Equality in Health and Care, Volume 10, Number 2, May 2013 pp. 115-121.
- Ehiwe, E; McGee, P; Thomson, K; Filby, M, (2012) "Black African migrants' perceptions of cancer: are they different from those of other ethnicities, cultures and races?", Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care, Vol. 5 Issue: 1, pp.5 – 11.
- Ehiwe E, Buckingham S, Ohuegbe C, Odeleye K. (2010). “Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Endometrial Carcinoma Invasion of the Myometrium: A Case Report”. New Zealand Journal of Medical Radiation Technology. Vol 53 issue 1. March 2010. pp5-7.
- Ehiwe, E., Mcgee, P., Filby, M., Thompson, K. Poster 15 “Black African Migrants Perceptions of Cancer: Are they Different from those of other ethnicities, cultures and races?" BSA Medical Sociology Group Annual Conference 11-13 September 2013.
- Emmanuel Ehiwe, Paula Mcgee (2011). An Investigation of the Health Beliefs and Perceptions of Cancer and Cancer Care among Two Black African Migrant Communities in Luton. 7th Annual Research Conference 2011Centre for Health and Social Care Research Birmingham City University
- Ehiwe E, Ohuegbe C.(2011). Vascular and Multimodality Imaging of Carotid Body Paraganglioma. Paper presented at the 49th Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the Association of Radiologists of West Africa (ARAWA), Kano, July 2011.
- Ehiwe E, Ohuegbe C.(2011) Carotid Artery Stenosis: Vision Loss, Carotid Bruits & Transient
Ischaemic Attacks. Paper presented at the 49th Annual General Meeting and Scientific
Conference of the Association of Radiologists of West Africa (ARAWA), Kano, July 2011.
- Ohuegbe C, Ehiwe E. (2011) Applications of Sonoelastography: Current Issues and Challenges. ARN Conference, Minna , November 2011.
- Ohuegbe C, Ehiwe E.(2011). The Application of musculoskeletal ultrasound in the differential diagnosis of pathologies in the extremities: an emerging frontier in medical imaging. ARN Conference, Minna , November 2011.
- Ohuegbe C., Ehiwe E.I.O. (2015). Sonoelastography findings in patients with symptomatic and asymptomatic supraspinatus tendinopathy. Scientific Paper Presented at the ARN Conference and Workshop. Asaba, Nigeria. 19th Nov 2015.
- Ehiwe. E. I.O (2015). Nature, Diagnosis and Complications of Fibroids. Seminar Paper Presented at the Women Fellowship Victory Centre Birmingham, England. 22nd August 2015.
- Ehiwe. E.I.O. (2015). Role of Radiography in Cancer Management Pathways. Scientific Paper Presented at 1st Scientific Mini Conference and Charity Ball of Nigerian Radiographers in Diaspora (United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland). Birmingham. 5th Sept 2015.
- Ehiwe E.I.O., Ohuegbe C. (2015). Greater Tuberosity Fractures and Rotator Cuff Tears. Scientific Paper Presented at the ARN Conference and Workshop. Asaba, Nigeria. 19th Nov 2015.
- Ehiwe. E.I.O., Ohuegbe C. (2015). Sonographic Evaluation of Trauma and Non-Traumatic Bony Lesions of the Wrist. Scientific Paper Presented at the ARN Conference and Workshop. Asaba, Nigeria. 19th Nov 2015.
- Healthcare Policy Advocacy – We always seek for opportunity to review and advice leaders of the healthcare sector in Nigeria on issues such as the practice of radiography and quackery, ultrasound education and training, cooperation with other allied health workers and bridging the gap with other professionals in the practice of medical imaging.
- Cooperating and interacting with other Nigerian Communities within and outside the United Kingdom.
- Partnering with other Nigerian-born or Nigerian-trained radiographers in USA, Canada, the Middle East, Australia, and other African countries.
- Collaborating with the Association of Radiographers of Nigeria.
- Representing and supporting our members with personal or professional issues.
- Ensuring that healthcare information is readily available to indigent populations and that the dissemination and propagation of such information is not unduly hampered.